In October 2019, Travers Smith, a leading corporate law firm in London, will be holding a one week work experience scheme for Year 12 students from lower income groups.
On the Travers Smith PRIME Scheme, you will learn about the world of law and business. You will get the chance to use your presentation skills, learn how to negotiate and improve your interview technique and CV. But that’s not all, you will also have the chance to get involved in a whole range of activities to help you fulfil your potential.
You will have the opportunity to learn more about the legal profession. However, a law firm needs much more than lawyers for it to function. A law firm also needs departments such as Accounts, IT, Human Resources and Business Development. On the PRIME Scheme, you will learn that there are lots of different career paths available both within and outside the legal sector.
The PRIME Scheme is an excellent opportunity for you to get a taste of what it’s like to work in a professional office environment and put your skills to the test. If the PRIME Scheme sounds like something that you would enjoy, make sure you complete the application form below! All reasonable travel expenses will be covered.
Travers Smith is one of the leading corporate law firms based in the City of London. The firm has over 500 lawyers and approximately 700 staff in total. It works for a range of different clients, many of whom you will be familiar with – Metro Bank, Shazam, Pret a Manger and Virgin Active to name a few.
Travers Smith is divided into a number of different departments. These are listed below. The largest of these, and the department for which the firm is best known, is the Corporate Department. The Corporate Department focuses on the buying and selling of companies.
- Commercial, Intellectual Property and Technology
- Dispute Resolution
- Employee Incentives
- Environment and Operational Regulation
- Financial Services and Markets
- Investment Funds
- Real Estate
Making sure that the firm complies with the Solicitors’ Accounts Rules
- Dealing with invoices which are payments that need to be made by and to the firm
- Looking after where money in the firm goes
- Complying with money laundering laws
- Marketing the firm to potential clients
- Producing marketing materials about what work the firm does and has undertaken
- Assisting lawyers when they are pitching for
- Looking after legal resources
- Keeping lawyers updated with changes in the law
- Helping lawyers with legal research
- Undertaking separate research for the firm’s
internal knowledge systems
- Looking after the computers and telephone
systems throughout the firm
- Fixing any IT or telephone related problems
- Providing IT training
- Helping lawyers with IT related work for clients
- Building software systems and repairing hardware
For more information about Travers Smith, please visit: http://www.traverssmith.com/
To be eligible for the Travers Smith PRIME Scheme you must:
- Be in Year 12
- Meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Being eligible for free school meals in the last six years (i.e. pupil premium)
- Growing up in a household in which no parent or guardian attended university.
- Experiencing other forms of disadvantage, such as spending time in local authority care
The Travers Smith PRIME scheme runs from Monday 21st October – Friday 25th October 2019. Participants will be expected to attend for all five days.
- Phone interviews for the Travers Smith PRIME programme will take place on Monday 30th September, between 2pm and 5pm. Applicants will be expected to be available for a phone call on that day if they are selected for interview.
To apply for a place on the Travers Smith PRIME Scheme, please
Applications will close on Sunday 22nd September at 11.59pm.
If you have any questions about the work experience placement, please contact Alex: